Virginia Commonwealth University took top honors in the student-led Marquette Challenge, once again earning co-hosting and naming rights for the Foundation’s grassroots fundraiser. Students from 122 schools across the United States participated in the most recent Challenge, a Challenge Like No Other.
The three top schools were:
- University of Pittsburgh with a total of $27,436.39
- University of Delaware with a total of $34,045.49
- Virginia Commonwealth University with a total of $38,010.58
Schools also in the top 5 raised nearly $20,000 for research.
- The Ohio State University – 5th
- University of Miami – 4th
The top 5 were announced live during the Foundation for Physical Therapy Research Awards Celebration held on June 23, 2021. The event was hosted by PT Pintcast host and FPTR Trustee Jimmy McKay, PT, DPT.
Since 1989, PT and PTA students have raised more than $4.5 million for research. This year is especially meaningful because of the creativity of the student fundraisers. With social distancing and other safety measures, students held virtual events from craft nights to 5Ks in support of research.
The schools receiving the award of excellence for raising more than $10,000 for research are:
- New York University
- Shenandoah University
- University of Colorado – Anschutz Medical Campus
- Washington University in St. Louis
The schools receiving the award of merit for raising more than $6,000 for research are:
- Louisiana State University Health Sciences Center – Shreveport
- Mayo Clinic School of Health Sciences
- Rosalind Franklin University of Medicine and Science
- Somerset Community College
- William Carey University
The schools receiving recognition for honorable mention for raising more than $3,000 for research are:
- Arcadia University
- Emory University
- The George Washington University
- Louisiana State University Health Sciences Center – New Orleans
- Midwestern University – Downers Grove
- Northwestern University
- Regis University
- Sacred Heart University
- Saint Louis University
- University of Illinois at Chicago
- The University of Iowa
Funds raised through the Challenge go towards physical therapy research grants and scholarships and support the rigorous scientific review process that helps the Foundation identify the most promising new investigators.